Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My "D" Day

After much waiting, yesterday August 27, 2013 was my diagnosis day. 

The surgeon who performed my biopsy called around noon. Eagerly I asked the verdict of the pathology results: Hodgkin's Lymphoma. 

I was linked with a local oncologist and my first appointment is set for this Thursday at 11:15.

Believe it or not, I still sincerely feel good. No breakdown of tears has occured to date....Knowing my emotional self, eventually it will hit but I'm not worried about it. I want to save my energy for everything to come. I am young and (sort of) in shape so I am going to rock whatever is ahead of me.  I am focusing on the positives of my life and appreciating each day aside from the awful humidity. 

I am so appreciative of the wonderful family and friend support that surrounds me. I am not alone.


The background scoop of this current sitch is as follows...
I have had a productive cough since January. I though nothing of it because I work with children (I have the best job in the ENTIRE world and I work with the most wonderful, beautiful, caring human beings you could ever encounter) and January is prime cold season. In my mind, it was just something I picked up from a little munchkin. Well come March, my mother had enough of my hacking and insisted I go to the doctor. Reluctantly I went and got a prescription for antibiotics to treat my "bronchitis". The cough disappeared for about a day and immediately returned once I finished all my pills. I still thought nothing of it because I thought a cough is no big deal.  Well months passed until the end of June when I woke up with horrible chest pain on my left side. I couldn't cough without making myself cry. Each breath in felt like a knife was being stabbed right into my body. I went to an outpatient urgent care and they took an X-ray to see what was going on.  Of course, where I was having the pain looked like beautiful lung tissue. However, on either sides of my windpipe were clusters of swollen lymph nodes. The urgent care doctor reviewed the film with me saying it could be one of three things: bad bronchitis, sarcoidosis or possible lymphoma.

Although I went to nursing school, I had no idea what sarcoidosis was. Without skipping a beat I turned on my lovely iPhone and went to town. Basically it is an inflammatory disease of the lungs where your body attacks its own tissue. It is treated with steroids and is generally not life threatening. Interesting.  I could deal with this steroid requiring issue no big deal. The last option, the lymphoma, is what caught me off guard. I inquired about familial tendencies considering my maternal grandfather a.k.a. Grandpa had Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. The doctor said that yes it was a concern of his. He prescribed me a 10 day course of steroids and antibiotics. I was to get a Chest CAT scan following my course and follow up with my primary care doc.

I took all the pills again and did just as I was told to do.  I was hoping that the medicines would help the swollen lymph nodes reduce in size but unfortunately on CAT scan the clusters were still there. By this time it was beginning of July.  My family doctor said I needed to see a Cardiothoracic surgeon to perform a biopsy of the tissue so we can determine if its sarcodiosis or lymphoma. The two diseases can look identical on diagnostic scans so samples are really the best way to go.  Well I went to one surgeon who instantly but politely said he's not the right guy.  He referred me to a pulmonologist where I had a pulmonary function test and my scan's reviewed. I asked the pulmonologist for his gut feeling. He said lymphoma but he couldn't be sure. He referred me to a top notch surgeon who would perform a mediastinoscopy.  When approached with the same question about gut feelings towards the diagnosis, the surgeon echoed his thoughts of lymphoma.  I took the news like a woman and nodded.  No tears. No panic. Just time to pull my big girl panties on and get to work.  My amazing Mom who accompanied me to all my appointments reacted more like how you are supposed to when you hear you may have cancer.  I love her with all my heart and seeing her cry has been the single HARDEST part about this so far. I hate making her upset and worried.

So long story stort on the 20th of August I had my surgery under general anesthesia. I have a little incision about 1 1/2 inches wide at the base of my neck. I had no nausea following surgery (thank god) and only took Motrin once before leaving the hospital. The steri strip has fallen off and now I am just putting neosporin on it everyday and popping a bandaid over it so I can keep it C/D/I and well approximated ;)

The surgery itself involved a scope going down into my chest and lymph nodes being plucked out to be tested. The nodes were sent "on rush delivery" and results would return in around 4 days.  Well come the morning of 27th I began to become a little worried since the math was clearly off.  Hearing the news was relief. I called my mom, texted some friends with the little battery I had left on my phone.

So here we are. I'm ready to start. On my birthday a week ago I was told that 23 is the best year of your life. Well, I plan on making it such. I don't see this as a set back at all. I am going to continue moving forward.  I am excited because I work tonight for the first time in over a week. I am chomping at the bit to go back. 


As an update to my life outside my health, I am so excited because yesterday Christian and I got the keys to our first apartment together!  It is a one bedroom little gem with amazing natural light.  Per the building's authority we are not allowed to officially move in until this Thursday but last night we unpacked all Christian's goods. He slept on the floor last night and I came back home to Ellicott City. I am pumped to live in Dupont Circle with my man and my kitty!



P.S. This is my first time blogging and I am hoping it will be therapeutic in my journey. It will be an ongoing process to learn how to change the layout and post pictures. So please, bear with me.  More to follow


Peace,


S Ham

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome....you're awesome!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I will keep you in my prayers. Years ago I fell (clumsy) in the driveway and thought I had broken a rib but x-rays showed otherwise. I had a CT scan and my PCP, pulmonologist, hem/oc physician all thought it looked like lymphoma. The CT surgeon did a biopsy and it is sarcoidosis. I have it in my lungs and spleen but have never had a problem. I love your positive attitude and will follow you along this journey, praying for a complete remission!

    Hugs,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I saw Emily Rancourt's post on FB and wanted to let you know I will be praying for you! I, too, received a terrible diagnosis at 22,so I know what it feels like. Whatever you do, don't ever give up! Life is so good and you can conquer anything that gets thrown at you. Thank you for all your hard work you do as a nurse! It makes a huge difference to the families in need!

    Blessings,
    ~Maike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, you are a remarkable young woman and I am praying for your speedy and uneventful recovery. Keep your positive attitude and know that you are surrounded by many who love you, who will support you and give you strength as you embark on this journey. Caring thoughts, joyful moments, and hope-filled days are being sent to you today. Peace.

    Kim Suarez

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Tach Disease,Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck,XoXo****
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (info@drituaherbalcenter.com)(drituaherbalcenter@gmai.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My names are Julia moreton I’m a citizen of UK, My younger sister was sicking of
    breast cancer and her name is Florence   I and my family have been taking her
    to all kind of hospital over here(UK) still yet no good result. I decided to go to
    the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady
    called Sophia Charlotte,   she testifies to the world about the goodness of a
    herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the
    herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @ kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com for my
    younger sister to see if he can cure her from the ailment that has befallen her(breast cancer). I contacted him and told him
    my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister will be
    cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to send give to me to cook and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how
    can I receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
    transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for
    the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier
    service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week runs out, my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not
    knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the
    miracle of Doctor kokobi. my dad wanted to pay him 5 million  dollars as token of our appreciation towards his good work but the
    herbal man declined the offer which I don't know why, he only say that I should tell the world about him
    and the miracle he perform so am here now to tell the world about him if
    you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get a solution to from
    the hospital please contact kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com or WhatsApp him
    +254746618873 or call him via his calling line +2348114448587 . And if you need more information about the doctor you can send me an mail @
    juliamoreton78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete